Knights of Columbus
The Knights of Columbus began on October 2, 1881 at St. Mary’s Church in New Haven, CT when a group of Catholic men gathered there to form a fraternal society. Their founder is Father Michael J. McGivney who was the parish priest at St. Mary’s, and who invited them to come together to form the society.
They sought strength in solidarity, and security through unity of purpose and devotion to a holy cause: they vowed to be defenders of their country, their families and their faith.
The first Knights were very much aware of the steady stream of immigrants coming to the United States to start a new life for their families. For this reason also they looked to ideal of Christopher Columbus, who in the 1880’s was regarded by many as an unofficial “patron saint” of immigrants.
They were Knights of Columbus. Their efforts came to fruition with the incorporation of the Knights of Columbus on March 29, 1882.
The Knights on their local turf, in the Councils where they live, involve themselves in volunteer work for the parishes and the wider community. They can be counted on for charitable donations for the needy; they provide scholarship programs for students at every level. They help the Church to carry out its mission of evangelization, teaching and service through their publications and many other ways.
THE KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS – Los Caballeros de Colón
OLPH Council #60
526 – 59th St.
1st & 3rd Thursday of the month
Contact: Danny Rodriguez, Grand Knight
Contact: Charles Olmeda, Deputy Grand Knight
email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chaplain: Rev. Charles McDonald, C.SS.R.